Redeemed myself in the kitchen with this monstrosity of a cookie!
(Okay, they’re not that big. But the first few I made were.)
With my failed attempt at a dark chocolate pistachio cookie, I decided to go all out and make my first stuffed cookie. After a few messy “stuffing” mishaps, I think I got the art down and am already planning my next batch of stuffed cookies. Hmmmmm…
This flavour combination is a classic and also happens to be my sister’s all-time favourite. For as long as I remember, she’s been obsessed with those orange chocolate balls that you whack to eat. I timed the baking and shipping of these cookies perfectly, because she called me the night I baked them and told me about her sitcom-worthy bad week.
So here’s to all the people I’m shipping these cookies out to. May your week be a wee bit better with the aroma (tip: warm them up first!) and flavour of these cookies. I miss you guys!
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp orange extract
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips/chunks or a bar of dark chocolate
- small jar of Nutella
- With a fork, cream/whip the butter in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix the eggs in one at a time.
- Add the orange extract. The batter will look clumpy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- With the flat blade of a knife/rolling pin/heavy spoon, smash the chocolate chips/chunks. If you have a bar of chocolate, use a grater or knife.
- Add the chocolate to the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drop heaped teasponfuls onto a lined baking pan. Flatten the balls of dough with your hand until 1/4 inch thick. Alternatively, you can use a rolling pin and cookie cutter or the mouth of a cup. The cookies should be about 2 inches in diameter.
- Place a dollop (about 1/2 teaspoon or more, depending on the size of the cookie) of Nutella in the centre of each cookie.
- Using your fingers, curl the edges of the cookies around the Nutella (see pictures above) and pinch them closed. Lightly flatten them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- These are much, much better warm - when the centres are gooey.
- It's easier to work with larger cookies, so try stuffing larger cookies first.